header

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Looking Forward

I've decided to not let our current setback rule my life and wreck my plans. I've looked at the wall plaque my mother bought me about a hundred times since I hung it up. Everything is going to be alright. My husband loved it. He said it was just what he needed. I think its what we both need, that assurance that no matter what everything is going to be alright. No matter how things end up, how our story ends, we will be alright, because we have each other and people who love and care about us.
I know that whether we pursue IVF or adoption we are going to have to do some fundraising to reach our dream. We make enough money to take care of ourselves and a future little one but that kind of money isn't just lying around. We're looking at anywhere from $10,000 to $30,000 either way. Since we aren't exactly open about our infertility struggles fundraising could be more than a little difficult. And I don't feel comfortable about just asking for money.
With that in mind I'm starting a Zazzle store as our first line of fundraising defense. I can remain anonymous for the time being, which is what my husband and I both need for the time being. When our plan of action becomes a little more solidified in November, then maybe we'll open up about our troubles. It'll be almost 2 years at that point since we started out.
My other fundraising plans for the future will probably include a special fairy calendar and a fairy story book. There's also a froyo shop in our small home town that hosts fundraisers and gives 20% of the proceeds to your cause. I'm keeping that in mind as well.
I'm self-employed and I keep thinking if I could find another job that just paid $20k a year, that I could save every penny and have what we need in a year. So I'm looking into that as well. I've already got applications out at a local library and for a pharmacy tech training position.
If you have some other fundraising ideas you'd like to share or resources that might help, please let me know.
Regardless we're in this for the long haul. I have to do something to keep my eyes trained ahead because if I linger too long in this moment, I'm going to drown.
Also something that could be fundraising related but doesn't have to be, is I keep thinking I'd like to write a book about Infertility. One thing all of the women I've talked to can agree upon is how much harder the secrecy surrounding infertility makes the journey for those going through it. I'm still mulling it over in my head, but I think a readily available book could help wash away some of that secrecy. Usually I write fiction, but I think with some help I could make the jump. I'll talk more about it later, once I get a working outline figured out in my head.
So if you're interested in my Zazzle store, its www.zazzle.com/fairyblessings* . Fairy Blessings will be full of fairy artwork, t-shirts, and other products as well as inspirational images and quotes. All of the artwork and photographs will have been done by me or my mother (who by the way is an amazing artist). I'll slowly be building up a product base, so bear with me if it's a little empty at first. We'll get there. And if this sort of thing appeals to you, sign up for our product updates so you can find out when we get new stuff out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment