header

Friday, October 11, 2013

Chugging along

Several seemingly random topics to cover today.
First....I finally got my dad to read a story for my storybook cd. He complained and grumbled all the way up to the time I counted him in. It took less than 5 minutes and as soon as I stopped the recording he started grumbling again. Sometimes I just want to sit there and shake my head at him.  I don't know why he insists on playing the grizzly bear when inside he's cotton candy. One of the gems from that short time...'I'm not gonna croak anytime soon and even if I do the kid's probably better off not knowing me.' Gee, dad, that's a wonderful sentiment. *eyeroll* My mom and I keep reminding him that its not necessarily just for in case he 'croaks' so much as it's a really nice idea.
A few weeks earlier my brother asked me why I hadn't asked him to read a story. I was a little dumbstruck. Honestly I hadn't even considered him. I don't know why but while I can imagine losing everyone else in my life for some reason I never think about losing him. I don't know why that is. And even though it never occurred to me to ask him, it was also because it never occurred to me that he would even want to be included in this project. He's not exactly warm and fuzzy unless he gets a couple shots in him. I told him that I didn't think he would want to do it. His response was, ' well you knew dad wouldn't want to do it either.'  I think maybe I hurt his feelings and that was something I certainly hadn't intended to do, but it got me thinking. So after I finished with my father's story I sent my brother a text, mainly because it was raining outside and I didn't want to get soaked to walk up to his apartment, telling him to come on up and pick out a story and to tell his wife, J, that if she wanted to read one she could come up too. I waited and waited. Thirty minutes passed and no reply. So I sent him another one letting him know I was planning on going back to my house in about an hour. Again no reply. I waited the full hour and then left feeling even more confused. Why did he make an issue of me not asking him, if he didn't want to do it in the first place? I really don't understand people.
I have however thought of a way to improve my idea even more. I think I will scan in all the pages of the book along with a picture of whoever is telling the story and make a dvd out of it. With my husbands audio engineering expertise he should be able to eq and master the sound any way I want it and I can handle the rest. I had, at one time, casually mentioned creating a movie instead of just sound but everyone shied away from that idea pretty quick. lol. Everybody is concerned about how they look and how they sound. It's kinda funny in a way.
Moving on... I discovered recently that PepsiCo offers its employees $8,000 in adoption assistance. Pretty nifty, right? Makes me want to go work for them. Our friend who is actively pursuing adoption just quit his job and got on with Fritolay which is a subsidiary of PepsiCo. Of course the employer he quit from is also my husband's employer and guess what...no adoption assistance. Bleck.
I have so many questions about their journey. They asked me to take pictures for them for their profile book, at first I was jazzed about it. Then they asked if I could take nice pictures that didn't look posed or professional. Huh. That actually makes it alot harder. My husband doesn't seem to understand that creating posed pictures that don't look posed is actually more difficult than regular posed, even though I use natural posing techniques usually. They said the adoption agency strongly suggested not using professional posed pictures. Never heard that before. But I told them I'd make a  go of it. Then they mentioned that the homestudy wouldn't be finished for a year. Huh. My somewhat limited research and lurking on adoption boards certainly hasn't suggested that. Most homestudies seemed to get done in about 3 months. I'm so confused, so so much conflicting info out there.
Finally my grandmother just finished organizing/helping with a fundraiser/benefit for a local couple who are in deep with medical expenses. She's had alot of years of experiencing doing similar things for 'Pokey' which is the affectionate nickname we've given to the building that is now just a community center but used to be the local senior citizen's center and even further back the school where my grandmother attended as a child. Any rate they raised $7,000 for the couple in one night. Wow. I have to say that gives me a little bit of hope if we need to fundraise ourselves.
Speaking of fundraising, tomorrow I get to be a part of a charity event supporting our local no-kill animal shelter. I did pet portraits for them last year and was able to raise $100 for them. They were so pleased that they asked me back again this year! I'm excited to see everybody's furbabies. My favorites from last year were the Irish Wolfhounds. I so hope they'll be back again this year and even more hopefully that maybe they'll stop by my booth.   
Well if you've stuck with me for this long how about a song. This one is my new favorite and it's lifting my spirits when I badly need it.  BTW she's accepting videos as to what you think is 'Brave'. I thought about doing one on infertility and adoption but a. not a filmmaker  b. not out of the infertility closet just yet   c. its not just my journey but also my husband's and he's not comfortable at all with being open about our situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment