header

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Interview

I decided a week or so back that there is no way that we are going to be able to afford ivf or adoption at this point by ourselves. Something has got to change. I love doing my photography but honestly it doesn't bring home much more than gas money and a couple lunches out a month. If I could get more business in the door it would work but right now it's not reliable. I can't save 15 to 30k when I'm only clearing 3k a year. It's impossible. This year has been hella hard on us. First the infertility, then the diabetes, then a broken down truck and two cars. Money just seems to be flying out the door hand over fist. So I sat down to do a little creative math. I set my goal for around 10k. My results went something like this. Part time job working 20 hours a week, I'd have to bring home about 10/hr to make my goal. Full time job working 40 hours a week, I could make anything over $5/hr and make the goal, which is great since minimum wage is what $7.25 these days? So a full time job working 40 hours a week at minimum wage would put me around 13k.
With the math pushing me onwards I sent in an application on Tuesday. A vet's office in the town over, about a 25 minute drive, was looking for a receptionist. 'Hey," I thought, "I could do that and I love animals. Probably won't get it but hey what the hell. And I'd have at least every Sunday for photography." Well they called this morning and asked me to come in for an interview. Honestly I was a little flabbergasted. I did not think they would call. I arrived almost 30 minutes early and parked at the Co-op up the street to wait. I broke at the 10 minute mark, drove down to their parking lot, and walked in. The vet saw me almost immediately. She took me into an examination room, the same examination room I've brought my furbabies over the years, and started the interview. I'm honest person I didn't hold anything back.
When she asked about why I was interested in the position I told her about the diabetes, the broke cars, etc and that I was not looking forward to another year like this one. We talked a little more. She hinted that she might like me to take Pet Santa photos for them. Great. She asked if we had kids. I told her about the infertility diagnosis and that we needed to save somewhere between 15 and 30 thousand regardless of which direction we ultimately decided to take so no kids were not an issue. I don't know if it was wise to be that open with her, but IF I do get the job and like it, and IF we do save the money we need, and IF we do pursue IVF I'm going to need an understanding boss who will let me off to do the countless appointments. If she's not that person why bother, right? Cause honestly once the money is there if push comes to shove our family building trumps a job.
The whole interview process took around 15 minutes according to my husband who waited out the car. It seemed like a lot longer than that to me. It's been over 4 years since the last time I had an interview where I wasn't letting my portfolio do the talking for me. I don't know if it went well or not. I don't even know if I want it to have gone well. Honestly I'm not looking forward to rejoining the typical workforce, but I know its necessary if I ever want to follow this process to its end.  The things we do for our children, even the ones who don't exist yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment