header

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Furbaby

I feel like a bad furmomma. I really do. I've been so caught up in this whole IVF process that I didn't even notice Claire was having an issue shedding her claws. On Friday afternoon I noticed she'd licked the fur off of two of her toes. I went to investigate and discovered that her poor little toe pad was being pierced through by one of her claws. I examined it for a good few minutes and determined that I couldn't fix the issue myself without hurting her. And of course it's a weekend so I have to wait a few days and stew in my guilt. On Sunday I looked at the rest of her feet and discovered another claw that was very very close to piercing its toe pad and a tiny itty bitty baby claw that looks like she'd pulled out almost at the root, which had to have hurt so badly. I feel really guilty.
So Monday we took her to a new vet. She did remarkably well with them. Never hissed, never blew, never growled, never even meowed or struggled. She just kept an eye on me the whole time. Poor baby bled like a stuck pig when they removed the offending claw. Her poor little foot pad. She shook the first bandage they put on her off in about 5 seconds. Flew all the way across the room. They put the second one on nice and tight but told me I could take it off that night. They surprisingly didn't fuss too much at me for her being overweight, a whopping 15.6lbs!, but did suggest I put her on a diet. Uh she's been on a diet for well over 6 months now.
I think she had a worse time of it in the car though. She just lay on my lap leaned up against my chest and panted. I turned the air up on high just in case my body heat was making her uncomfortable. She was very happy to get home til she realized she couldn't shake her pink bandage and then she hid.I tried to help her take the bandage off before bed time and she got irritable with me, so I finally cut it the rest of the way off and let her get the super sticky part free.  She got sick a couple times during the night which makes me wonder if I should continue dosing her with her antibiotics. I think maybe she just didn't eat enough yesterday cause there's still plenty left in the bowl.
Sometime during the night she decided she wasn't still mad at me and crawled up on my leg to sleep. Good. I hate it when she's mad at me.
Oh at the store I had to pick up some special litter for her til her foot pad heals and without thinking I bent over and picked up this huge bag. I guess it was probably a 30 lb bag. I didn't think anything of it til I turned and saw my mother's horrified expression. Oh shit. I quickly handed it off to her. Really really hoping that I didn't screw something up.

No comments:

Post a Comment